Secondhand finds are good for the planet (less waste), good for your wallet, and often pack a more powerful punch than anything you can buy new at the store.
Thrift stores are packed with hordes of musty-smelling junk but if you dig through the debris long enough, you’ll come out a winner. If you need proof of this just check out the Facebook account ‘Weird Secondhand Finds That Just Need to Be Shared.’
This account is filled with members who regularly frequent secondhand shops, yard sales, and occasionally even find things left abandoned on the side of the road, all in the name of discovering something uniquely wonderful.
Here are some of our favorite finds…
1. “Found at the bins yesterday by my husband…” – Kelly French
2. In Grand Rapids, Michigan, someone bought a supposedly haunted chair on Facebook.
The posting started off normal enough: “Antique chair. Beautiful carved detail in the wood. We suspect the cushion is stuffed with horsehair. Upholstery needs to be cleaned, because it’s been in our garage for a year.”
Then it got weird… “My husband doesn’t want it back in the house, since we’ve determined it’s haunted.” The poster goes on to explain how weird things would happen when the chair was in their house.“Upstairs there would be unexplained smells of food cooking. Downstairs, things would move on their own. And, when it was in our bedroom, it felt as if someone would sit on the bed next to us.”
3. Someone found this chair on the side of the road – it is Victorian era conversation settee designed for courting couples.
“The weird thing is that it was on the side of the road with a bunch of junk.”
4. “Got this free giant cup!”
Originally, it was given to a liquor distributor for free and his wife just wanted it gone. One man’s trash is another’s treasure!
5. Unique Christmas decoration
“I like to believe someone’s grandma worked really hard on this! I feel so lucky to own it!”
6. This toilet seat cover
“My parents think it’s ugly. I think it’s glorious.”
7. Someone bought this for $15 at the Salvation Army. It’s printed on wood.
“Definitely [made] before the movies”
8. Hand painted Queen nesting dolls
9. This terrifying teddy bear
“My mum found this bear in a local OP Shop, left it there and went home and told her husband who said ‘you gotta go back and get it to scare the grandkids.'”
10. Massive hand replica, anybody?
“My kid cried the whole way home (didn’t let that stop me)”
11. This secondhand sweater has a Hollywood-studded story to tell…
“I picked up this sweater a few years ago and listed it on Ebay. It sold for around $80 and the buyer username was The Goldberg Studios. I started recording the TV show and it made its appearance the following season! It was on air for a whopping 10 seconds.”
12. Mini love seat found at a local thrift store makes the perfect sofa for a pet lizard
13. A functioning lamp that looks like a female rabbit
“I was surprised when she brought her out and she was about 2 1/2 feet tall, maybe more. She’s very detailed with a collar bone and female anatomy. And she has this weird almost ancient Egyptian motif painted on the back of her dress. And yes, she is a functioning lamp.”
14. Dammnit Doll
15. 1 person sauna found in Fort Wayne, Indiana at a store called Finders Keepers
16. A frank t-shirt to spoil your dreams
17. “Found these two for less than 5 dollars last year; they’re obviously hanging in my living room”
18. This Giant Elvis Head
“This is deja vu in Londonderry NH off of 93. No we didn’t buy it, it’s like 10,000 dollars”
19. “I stared at them for a minute or two, then walked quietly away”
20. Looking to spruce up your apartment?
21. “Loved this phone I found at the Garage Sale Warehouse in Beaverton, Oregon”
22. “Does an aged portrait of your apparently immortal cat count as a weird secondhand find?”
23. “This is probably my most prized find. This is Billie Jean”
24. “Every question you have that starts with ‘wait, is that….?’, the answer is yes”
25. “This sofa did not come home with us, because we didn’t drive our freight train to the store that day”
Who wants to go thrifting?!